Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Fans

December 2, 2009

Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Fans

I used to make quite a few holiday cookies.  The prep routine went something like this:  wallow through the recipes until the calendar pressured me into making choices; make sure there’s not only a variety of flavors, but textures and shapes as well; and vary the types to spark some interest, making sure to include pastry cookies, or bar cookies.  I’d look forward to settling down with a cup of coffee and a notebook then make my master ingredient list.  I couldn’t wait to begin, planning on who would receive my cookies and how I’d package them.  Add two little boys under the age of five to the mix and wonder with me now how I managed to pull it off.  Clearly, I was delusional.

I’ve no small children at home now, and haven’t for years.  What I do have is a very pleasant senior in high school who wandered into our kitchen last Sunday as I was getting organized and asked, ” Mom.  Do you need any help today?” as he bent his tall, willowy frame over to give me a hug.  For a second, I wondered whether his dad, who was headed for the Chargers game had given him some direction before he left, perhaps feeling unnecessarily guilty for abandoning us on a Sunday, but it was only a fleeting second.  For those of you who have not yet had your children grow up to be teenagers, please know I’ve raised three, and as much as they can be quite good at passive resistance, they’re also kind people.

Credit to aforementioned resident teen whose offer of assistance I accepted in making these Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Fans.  He gets credit for having a hand steady enough to place the pearls.

Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Fans

Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Fans

For the fans…

• Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or coffee powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar

For the glaze…

• 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped

Directions can be found here.

Don’t forget to check out my fellow cookie bakers this holiday season.  Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen, Courtney of Coco Cooks, and Judy of No Fear Entertaining who are all returning this year, and Michelle of Big Black Dog, Di of Di’s Kitchen Notebook, Renee of Flamingo Musings, and Tiffany of The Nesting Project who will be joining us this year.  A special nod goes to Andrea of Andrea’s Recipes who started the group last year, but cannot join in on the craziness this year.

Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Fans

• These are quite easy to make, but definitely need the cooling time.  I thought about using individual tart pans, but reconsidered when I thought about how rich they might be.  I’m glad I chose the large pan.  The wedges can be cut even smaller, but make sure you do so when the tart is still warm.
  • The kick comes from the combination of the dark chocolate and the espresso powder.  I bought some cacao nibs to sprinkle on the top, but decided they already packed a potent punch.  Delicious, but goodness, they’re chock-full of flavor.
  • The only thing I would consider changing about these is to include Chuao Spicy Maya chocolate in this recipe.  I know it would be fabulous!
  • This recipe would add the shape, texture, and flavor I mentioned above.  It would stand out in your cookie gift assortment.

bon-appetit-badge-2009

Y December 2, 2009

They look so tasty. You have very talented help ;)

Judy December 2, 2009

Awesome job to both of you! So lucky to have a helper in the kitchen and one you really enjoy!

Di December 2, 2009

Those look great–I love the way you and your son decorated them. =) I wasn’t going to make these, but now I might have to add them to my list.

jain December 2, 2009

oh my, they are so beautiful, not to mention my most favorite food group…

kellypea December 2, 2009

Haha! The chocolate, the espresso, or the whole package? ; )

Maria December 2, 2009

I love these. Very unique and festive!

Lori @ RecipeGirl December 2, 2009

Darling! And what a great teenager you have, offering to help :)

kellypea December 2, 2009

By what you’ve shared about your young man, I’m sure you’ll be just as fortunate — in fact because he’s already helping, who knows? Maybe he’ll own his own restaurant, right?

Cathy at Wives with Knives December 2, 2009

Love the chocolate – coffee combination, and you’ve decorated your fans perfectly. This is just the right dessert after a festive holiday meal.

zurin December 2, 2009

Those are indeed beautiful cookies! and all I can say about your son’s offer is awwwwww. that is so precious. :))

kellypea December 2, 2009

He is quite the lovely young man. Now if I could just get him to clean his room :/

grace December 2, 2009

i’m a fan of your fans, kelly. chocolate and coffee and lovely decorations (with those placed by volunteers being particularly excellent) are hard to beat.

Karen@Mignardise December 2, 2009

Teenage boys are never short on surprises, are they? I have to say, mine always comes through when I least expect it.
I’ve been busy printing off a bunch of your cookie recipes, recent and last year’s. I better get started!

Beautiful decorations and photography.

kellypea December 2, 2009

They redeem themselves so easily, don’t they? Yahoo on the cookie making! The frenzy is quite a bit of fun so can’t wait to see what you’ll spin out

El December 2, 2009

These look like a wonderful and tasty alternative to the traditional cookie. How wonderful that your children have grown into kind, mature adults – and it’s much more fun when everyone is involved. The decorations look great!

Sunita December 2, 2009

Kelly, your cookies look so pretty. And yes, your pleasant senior has done a great job with the pearls.

courtney December 2, 2009

So beautiful. I was eying these and wasnt sure, but you convinced me!

Kiran December 2, 2009

They look lovely, moist and delicious, but with my experience using golden syrup makes the cookies harder after they cool down….

Lauren December 2, 2009

Just stunning! Isn’t it always more fun when there’s someone to help?

RJ Flamingo December 2, 2009

I am quite simply awestruck. First by the beauty of your creation, then by the offer of assistance by a teenager. Wow!

Michelle December 3, 2009

Gorgeous presentation…I just love it and the white chocolate dots are perfect!

Sandy Smith December 3, 2009

Kelly, this looks like something from a magazine photo shoot. Gorgeous! My teen daughter has now added this to my list; she’s volunteered to decorate it. ;)

Barbara December 4, 2009

Your fans are a delight. (And so is the hug you got!)

Michelle December 4, 2009

Gorgeous photo and I bet they tasted just delicious. Love the white chocolate dots!

Gale Reeves December 5, 2009

I made these today. It seems that there is much too much butter for the given amount of flour. My shortbread was not a success. Is the recipe correct stating 2 sticks of butter? Your pictures are beautiful.

kellypea December 5, 2009

Hi Gale — the recipe was made as written and posted at Bon Appetit. I thought the same thing you did, but they must absolutely be allowed to cool completely on the pan, and then chilled for some time (45 minutes). That helps them solidify. They can be a bit delicate if not kept flat, but I took quite a few to share and they traveled well. Each wedge should be capable of holding its shape when lifted. I didn’t have any crumbling or breakage. I’m sorry it didn’t turn out for you!

Gale Reeves December 7, 2009

Thanks for your reply. The butter bubbled/boiled out of the batter as it baked; thus leaving holes in the top of the shortbread. I let it cool for hours; it would have cut, but I just broke it into pieces and put it in the freezer. The taste is good; i hope to use it crumbled as filler in a bundt cake…or something. Happy baking!

katrina December 7, 2009

Oh my – those are so beautiful! And the decorating is stunning – nods to your boy:)

Sylvia January 1, 2010

This looks delicious. I think they would be great in a gift basket with other mixed goodies. The polka dots adds the perfect winter touch, I even sprinkled mine with some powdered sugar. They have to cool forever… but it’s really worth it!
-Sylvia