Fresh Corn and Tomato Pie

September 10, 2010

Fresh Corn and Tomato Pie

It’s been a couple of weeks since my youngest headed off to college, and it’s become very apparent that tailoring my cooking portions down by a third is not going to be as easy as I first thought.  Let’s discuss the fresh corn I purchased recently, shall we?

I bought four ears, restraining myself because they were 10 for a dollar.  Sure, I could have purchased 10, and like an organized consumer, freeze most of it for later use.  You should see my freezer.

No, I settled with the four ears knowing I’d be able to make a few recipes before we felt as if we were on corn overload.  Bear in mind that each ear of corn produces more than one cup of kernels and that one serving is only 1/4 cup.  Two recipes for two would mean 16 meals consisting of…

Corn.

Sweet, crunchy, versatile corn that, when enjoyed in a nice pie made with homegrown tomatoes, won’t get stuck in your teeth.

Fresh Corn and Tomato Pie

Crust Ingredients

3/4 c. whole grain organic pastry flour

3/4 c. all purpose flour

large pinch of kosher salt

1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper

1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil

5 T iced water

Filling Ingredients

3 lg. eggs

1/2 c. evaporated milk

1/2 c. 0% fat Greek yogurt

1/3 c. shredded cheddar

2 roma tomatoes, sliced

1 c. fresh corn kernels

1/4 c. chopped cilantro

2 green onions, sliced

salt & pepper

Directions

1. Prepare the crust first by whisking flours, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Pour the olive oil and cold water into the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.  Press into a disk, wrap with plastic and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.

2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.  After the dough has chilled, roll it into an approximate 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface, or between two sheets of plastic wrap. To blind bake, line a 9-inch pie pan with the dough, then with a piece of foil.  Fill with dried beans, pasta, or other pie weights.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until set.  Remove the foil and pie weights and cool on a rack for about 10 minutes.

3. While the pie shell is cooling, mix eggs, milk, and yogurt in a bowl until well combined.  Then sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom of the pie shell.  Next, layer half the tomatoes over the cheese.  Add the corn, cilantro, and half the green onions.  Season with salt and pepper and add the rest of the cheese.  Layer on the remaining tomatoes, season again, and add the remaining onions.  Carefully pour the milk mixture over the vegetables.

4. Bake for about 40 minutes or until center is set and surface is lightly browned.

Recipe Notes:

• This recipe was adapted by one published in the August 2010 issue of Eating Well and that’s what we’ve been trying to do — eat well — as in be kind to our bodies.
  • We enjoyed this for dinner and lunch for two days with maybe a breakfast thrown in for good measure. Thankfully,  I was able to get one of my older sons to eat the last generous slice when he stopped by for a visit.  Yes, I need to make a smaller pie.
  • I guess I’ve been on a pie crust analysis kick lately, but this crust is excellent as well.  The cracked pepper makes it interesting, and the olive oil is a nice healthy addition.  The dough is very easy to work with, and the baked crust is firm, holding up quite well in spite of the moist filling.
  • I was tempted to add prosciutto to this, but knew it wasn’t necessary — as in — do you really have to have meat in everything?
  • I can think of so many other ways to adapt this with goat cheese, or feta instead of the cheddar.  Or roasted green chilis.  Bacon.  You’re thinking it, aren’t you?
  • If you resist the urge to add meat, this is quite the healthy, low calorie recipe.

Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective September 10, 2010

I can imagine eating this at breakfast, lunch and dinner too! It’s perfectly lovely!

MIssy September 10, 2010

This looks marvelous! Does it really have condensed milk? (SCM) or evaporated milk? I think we are on the same way length girly ~CORN.

kellypea September 10, 2010

Oh man I am SO glad you said something. Definitely evaporated milk. Wow. That would make a bit of a difference, right? Thanks, Missy!

MIssy September 11, 2010

SOrry wave length not way length! Looks Marvelous Darling!

Joanne September 11, 2010

oh dear. now my stomach is growling and my mind is wondering how quickly I can put together this recipe.
Beautiful photos and a delicious meal.

Stash September 11, 2010

Corn quiche. That’s such a no-brainer it’s a wonder I’ve never thought of that.

kellypea September 12, 2010

No kidding! Funny, though. It’s not nearly as eggy as quiche. Sometimes all that egg makes me a bit queasy around the edges.

bellini valli September 12, 2010

This is right up my alley!!!!

Lori @ RecipeGirl September 12, 2010

Ahhhh, your youngest is gone now! Life will so different, eh? I can’t even imagine… we have 9 years until that happens to us.

This looks delicious. It’s the sort of thing that I can be totally happy with for dinner.

kellypea September 12, 2010

Nine years sounds like forever to me at this point, but looking back on it, it really goes in a flash. He’s adjusting nicely, sounds and looks great. Video chat last night was fun. :)

coco cooks September 12, 2010

Love how you did the pie crusts. I love corn and have some sitting in the fridge. I need to do something like this quickly!

kellypea September 13, 2010

The pie dough is nice to work with if you don’t want something really flaky. I’m thinking little tarts would be great, and definitely easier to save (read: shove in the freezer!)

Cooking with Michele September 13, 2010

My youngest has been off to college for 3 years and I still haven’t scaled down my cooking enough. And my husband has just about lost patience with all of the leftovers in our fridge and freezer. I think it’s the curse of those who like to cook and cook for others – we almost always overcook!

kellypea September 13, 2010

My freezer is a joke, so I can’t save anything. So far, I’m making some progress, but it’s crazy.

meleah rebeccah September 13, 2010

If I wasn’t allergic to corn & tomatoes – I would eat this for breakfast!

kellypea September 13, 2010

Use the basic recipe to use any vegetable you like (or aren’t allergic to). Potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, roasted peppers, spinach or kale, mushrooms…wait. So mushrooms aren’t a vegetable, but you get the idea. And I know you can’t have gluten, so skip the crust and make it in a skillet. It’ll work!

Lisa September 13, 2010

I’ve been searching the web for good vegetarian dishes and it looks like this one will have to go in my recipe book. Thanks for posting on my blog.

grace September 13, 2010

what a magnificent filling, kelly! so…are you suffering from empty nest syndrome yet? :)

kellypea September 13, 2010

Thanks, grace :) I stay busy with my nothingness, so I try not to think about it too much. The first week was hard. On-line video chats are a wonder. Now if they could just figure out a way to factor in the hugs. He is a hugger, and it’s been a while since I had one. : (

Deborah Dowd September 15, 2010

This sounds like a great way to use the last of summer’s corn and tomatoes. Looks lighter than a traditional quiche!

Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } September 21, 2010

What a WONDERFUL pie. Love the fresh corn and tomatoes. It is like summer all wrapped up in a pie. I agree that no meat is required with this recipe. It is on my list to make. Thank you for sharing and have a brilliant week.

katrina September 27, 2010

lovely combination, Kelly! This is something I’ll definitely be making, but without the crust ( I figure, why make a crust I’m not going to eat?) – similar to the South Beach breakfast quiches – but prettier. Thanks so much, and hope you’re adjusting gently to the new stage of your life…..