Easy Breakfast Scramble Recipe

September 5, 2011

September is my favorite month.

I suppose many would say their birthday month was their favorite — that is if they’re the type who thinks about such things — but that’s not why I love September.  Countless years of its signaling promise and the beginning of so much that is new has me thinking this way — even when leaves are just now only barely beginning to show signs of seasonal change.   I’ve been a schoolie most of my life, so I can’t separate September from that.  New schools, new friends, textbooks, notebooks, pencils…sack lunches packed with all the best things…

Sundays in September are even more special.  It’s the day of the week when, after adjusting to new schedules and itchy school clothes too warm for not quite Fall weather, or shoes that pinch, satchels and backpacks that tug heavily on shoulders still not ready for duty again, that everything pauses long enough to catch one’s breath.  Be thankful there’s one day with a morning that might be blissfully undemanding.

Coffee in hand and cats brushing against legs, I survey the patio, glad for the neighborhood’s quiet.  I check my planters to see how the roses are faring against the sometimes damp mornings, trimming spent blossoms from them.  I make a mental note to redo the herb box whose soil has slowly but surely decreased by half, but know I probably won’t get around to it yet.  The pot of tomatoes has done okay this year — nothing great, but always enjoyable to feel I’ve grown something fresh, gather a few in my hand to eat right from the plant.  It’s time to pull them from the pot and think about something else to plant and learn about.

The sun has warmed the flagstones and they feel good against my feet as I try to decide whether to have a sit, or go inside to think about a lazy breakfast.  One that takes little time and can use a few of the season’s last tomatoes.

Do you ever make breakfast scrambles?

Easy Breakfast Scramble Recipe

Ingredients

2 T extra virgin olive oil

4 large eggs

1-1/2 c. potatoes, cubed

1 zucchini, diced

2 smoked lean sausages, sliced

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 onion, diced

1/4 red pepper, diced

1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

fresh basil for garnish

Directions

1. In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil then the potatoes, tossing to coat.  Allow to sit without stirring, about 10 minutes or until they begin to brown.
  2. Add the onions and peppers, stir,  and allow to brown some more, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add the sausage slices to the mix and cook, making sure they’re browning, 3-5 minutes.
  4. Add the zucchini and stir, cooking an additional 3 minutes.
  5. Add the garlic and stir into the mix, cooking 1-2 minutes.
  6. Break the eggs over the chopped veg and sausage.  Don’t worry about it being perfect.
  7. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to cook, checking occasionally to check the whites for doneness.
  8. When the whites are opaque, toss on the tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and you’re done!
  9. Serve by digging in with a spatula to serve to 2 hungry people, or share amongst 4 with toast for the yolks.

Recipe Notes:

• The thing that is most important about this recipe is that you have fun and avoid being concerned about exact quantities or even cooking times.  I make scrambles all the time and they’re never the same.  They always depend on what we have in the fridge.
  • Because potatoes always seem to be the foundation of my scrambles, here’s what works best for me:  I leave the peelings on, but it’s not necessary.  I dice them somewhat small — maybe 1/2″.  This allows them to cook more quickly.  Avoid stirring them initially.  You want that crispy brown on them.
  • First — the sausage is completely optional.  When I use it, it’s usually Aidells.  We love it because it comes in many varieties — all lean and hand made in small batches.  It browns quickly and adds great flavor to a scramble along with a lot of other quick meals I make.  They run about $5-$6 a package for five sausages and last us a couple of meals.  Quite the value!
  • On the eggs — sometime I put them in the oven after they’ve had a bit of time on the stove top just to finish them off.  This is particularly handy when I add cheese.  Or sometimes, I scramble them in a bowl first with herbs and seasonings, then pour them over the potato veggie mix.  Anyway you want to do it is fine.
  • Try different combos with the veg, like artichoke hearts and peppers with green olives, or try some white beans with wilted spinach or chard.  Asparagus is always excellent if it’s in season.
  • If you want a different way to eat your scramble, roll it up in a warm flour tortilla and add your favorite kind of hot sauce or salsa.

More Breakfast “Scramble” Recipes to try:

Sass & Veracity — “Skillet Frittata with Broccoli and Cheddar”

Andrea Meyers — “Egg White Breakfast Casserole”

Panini Happy — “Bacon Breakfast Burritos”

Kalyn’s Kitchen — “Easy South Beach Breakfast Recipes:  Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms and Feta”

The Perfect Pantry — “Corn, Green Chile, Egg and Cheese Casserole”

Gluten-Free Goddess — “Savory Vegetable Pancakes”

Food Blogga — “Skinny Mexican Breakfast Scramble”

Pinch My Salt — “Butternut Squash Hash with Mexican Chorizo and Eggs”

What We’re Eating — “Sweet & Purple Peruvian Potato Hash”

Chickens in the Road – “Crock Pot Egg Bake”

Just 5 More Minutes — “Breakfast Burrito or Scramble”

Post Punk Kitchen — “Scrambled Tofu”

If you have a great breakfast scramble type recipe you’d like me to add to this list, please send a link in an email or in the comments.  The more the merrier!

Kalyn September 5, 2011

Wish I had this to eat right now. I need some breakfast!

kellypea September 5, 2011

Haha! You’ve got TONS of great recipes in your archives. I could trawl through them all day :)

Joanne September 5, 2011

September is definitely a great month…especially when you no longer have to worry about itchy school clothes anymore! And with summer veggies still being at their finest…this scramble sounds like the perfect way to start the day!

kellypea September 5, 2011

Thanks, Joanne. I do seem to remember the itchy (sweaty?) clothes even while teaching. All the fall clothes on sale I couldn’t wait to buy then wear way too early.

Yep, definitely a great recipe to make use of late summer veg!

Lana September 5, 2011

I eat very little for breakfast and I don’t particularly like to cook it, But the kids still have to eat and I indulge them every day, trying to be imaginative and offer different dishes. Thanks for the inspiration – I make awesome omelets and one of my favorite egg dishes is soft scrambled egg with spring onions – but I have never made anything resembling your scramble.
Happy September! I used to be excited when the school started when I was a student, but now I am excited for my kids and I hope they enjoy the new beginnings that September offers as well.

kellypea September 5, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Lana :) I’m like you on most days with breakfast. Usually a smoothie or oatmeal — nothing exciting. But I’ve learned the protein counts and adding the veg — usually without the potatoes and meat if I’m alone — are good for my body.

Do you post your omelets? I know that Pork Paprikash recipe you’ve got posted right now looks AMAZING!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) September 5, 2011

I love tossing together bits and pieces and leftovers with eggs. Not just for breakfast, mind you, but for any meal. It’s funny that no matter how old we get, we always think of September as the beginning of the year.

kellypea September 5, 2011

I’m with you on the “for any meal,” Lydia. Especially with a recipe like this one. The whole mix is great for panini as well.

Cheers to you on September beginnings!

Nicole September 5, 2011

I just tried to make my own breakfast scramble using some leftover sauteed summer squash and onions from last night’s dinner. I cracked a couple eggs into the pan on top of the veggies and one of the eggs was bad so I ended up throwing the whole thing out. Usually I crack them into a bowl first then add them to the pan because I have a problem with egg shell bits, but I thought I’d live dangerously. Oh well, I tried! :-)

kellypea September 5, 2011

BUMMER!! And what a waste of your good veg. I think the only time I’ve ever opened a bad egg in my life was to find it had bee fertilized and so, you can imagine what that was like. As a precaution, you can break the eggs into a bowl or tea cup to make sure they’re okay, then dollop them over the mixture one by one like you’d do with a cake batter ;)

A Brit Greek September 5, 2011

September is like January, I get really excited about the upcoming season!

There are way to many delish recipes here, as always, i’m going to have to bookmark this page!
x.o.x.o

Ino September 6, 2011

We make this a lot back home, but we scramble the eggs instead. It’s such a great way to use leftovers and we always have it on the Tuesday after Easter to get rid of the last bits of spit-roast lamb. Yum!

bellini September 6, 2011

I am inspired to do just that and make a breakfast scramble.

Christy September 7, 2011

Your cat looks like a furry buddha!

Love the scramble. Nothing like a lazy Sunday morning to put one in the right mood for the rest of the week. And those sweet yellow cherry tomatoes are THE BEST!

The Café Sucré Farine September 8, 2011

This looks like a fabulous breakfast. I wish I had it right now!

Vijitha September 8, 2011

Fantastic easy breezy breakfast!

El September 9, 2011

I’ve never made a breakfast scramble but I’m definitely inspired. It looks wonderful. That’s quite a cat you’ve got there. Such attitude in the portrait!

grace September 10, 2011

sausage is NOT optional! :) i love the flexibility with this, kelly–nice basic recipe and great suggestions!