Very Berry Buttermilk Sherbet

June 7, 2010

I thought I’d have more time to write at this point in the year, but I’ve been preoccupied by my youngest son’s graduation from high school, as well as planning for a fall trip to the UK — our first official empty nest vacation. Is there such a thing?

Both events provide me an excuse to spend time at my Mac even though one is rarely needed.  Who knew that sifting through 18 years of significant world events, pop culture, family photos and memories could be so time consuming?  Each rediscovered piece of a life gives me pause, and I can’t resist indulging myself more time than is necessary to collect this piece or that to add to a collection that will commemorate my son’s big milestone.  Memories of my own graduation day and those of my two older sons have me counting the years since, amazed at how truly quickly they have passed.

When I become too maudlin,  trip planning commences and the details of deciding which route to take from London, how many nights to spend where, and which pubs might best entice us to stop and sample a pint or two gives me something to look forward to. It doesn’t quite distract me from wondering how it will feel after so many years of having growing boys in my house, to have none.

Oh my goodness.

I’d say it’s time for some ice cream, wouldn’t you?  Or what about sherbet?

Definitely.

Berry Buttermilk Sherbet

6 oz. raspberries

6 oz. blackberries

6 oz. blueberries

1/2 c. raw sugar

1-3/4 c. buttermilk

juice of 1/2 lime

1/2 tsp. cardamom

Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.  Pour into the container of an electric ice cream maker and run until frozen, but soft enough to spread into a container to place in the freezer.  Seal well and freeze 1-2 hours before serving.

• This was adapted from a recipe in the June 2010 issue of Sunset magazine.
  • First things first:  Sherbet is pronounced like this. There is no “r” in the second syllable.  But you knew that, right?  Just checking.
  • Why is this a sherbet and not a sorbet?  Sherbet contains dairy products, although most often the fat content is quite low compared to that of ice cream.  Sorbet contains no dairy products.
  • If the idea of seeds from the berries concerns you, then puree them first and force them through a sieve.  This in not my favorite thing to do, and I don’t mind the seeds, so no sieve and sherbet far more quickly.
  • If you wanted to make this without an electric ice cream freezer, spread in a shallow metal baking pan and freeze it for 30 minutes.  Remove from the freezer and using a spatula, scrape the sherbet from the bottom of the pan and then smooth it out again.  Repeat as needed until firm enough to scoop.
  • If it hardens too much to scoop, allow it to sit at room temperature about 10 minutes to soften a bit.
  • Highly recommended. The berry flavor is intense, the buttermilk provides a pleasant tang, and it’s not too sweet.
  • Guaranteed not to make you feel guilty, and much more healthy compared to ice cream.  Think of all those lovely antioxidants!
  • OOH-LA-LA bowl below courtesy of a very nice lady who gifted it to me chock-full of fudge sauce.  Thanks, Carolyn!

Di June 8, 2010

Mmm, that looks so good! I love the color. I can’t believe I haven’t made sherbet yet. I just made some mixed berry sorbet (mine was blackberry, strawberry, raspberry), but next time I’ll have to try this instead.
.-= Di´s last blog ..Tongue-tied =-.

kellypea June 8, 2010

I’m with you on never having made sherbet. I’m more of a gelato or sorbet person. This was so good, and really surprisingly healthy. So much less sugar and fat than ice cream or some of the gelatos I’ve tried.

Janice June 8, 2010

I’ll have to get my ice cream machine out of the closet to try this recipe. With all the fresh berries, this sherbet must have been very refreshing. Thanks for sharing!
.-= Janice´s last blog ..Mixed Berry Shortcakes =-.

kellypea June 8, 2010

It is very refreshing. I think plum or peach (or both) may be next.

krysta June 8, 2010

forget making cherry gelato. this is the next thing to go into my ice cream maker. that is lovely.
.-= krysta´s last blog ..cleaning out the fridge =-.

kellypea June 8, 2010

I’m smiling because I’ve made an amazing cherry gelato I found in Gourmet a few years back. Don’t pass that one up :)

bellini valli June 8, 2010

Oh my, oh my. I have had frozen treats on my mind for days so this gives me even more inspiration. Being an empty nester is a new stage in life, but them comes university, marriage, grandkids, you know the rest:D
.-= bellini valli´s last blog ..Ploughman’s Lunch for Meatless Mondays =-.

kellypea June 8, 2010

With two older boys with not a single prospect in sight, I’m wondering about those grandkids.

Jill McKeever June 8, 2010

Kelly, you are wiser and stronger and I admire you. My heart feels a squeeze at the thought of my own kiddos leaving home. They are still small (10 & 7), but not for much longer I know. The days pass as quickly as I can blink my eyes.
I can’t imagine living in a house without their laughs and quarrels.

As for the sherbet, I just happen to have a batch of fresh pick blackberries and a fresh jug of sweet buttermilk. I need to explore this recipe. I’ve never heard of buttermilk used in such a way. I’m totally curious.

You’re the best! (((BIG HUG)))
.-= Jill McKeever´s last blog ..A Manly Barbecue Sauce – It’ll Put Hair On Your Chest =-.

kellypea June 8, 2010

It all passes in the blink of an eye, Jill. Amazingly so. Take lots of photos, give lots of hugs, and as you’ve said, savor even the quarrels. As for the buttermilk in this? Oh. My. Between that and brown sugar, I’m not sure which one I’m more hooked on.

grace June 9, 2010

love the bowl, love the frozen fabulousness, love the idea of a trip to the uk. one day, though not in the near future, i might actually obtain all three. one day. :)
.-= grace´s last blog ..saints preserve us! =-.

Karen@Mignardise June 9, 2010

Congratulations on getting the last one through high school! You deserve a vacation.
The sherbet looks awesome. I’m still waiting for some local berries, and when they finally arrive I have lots of ways to enjoy them on my list. I’ll add this too. Thanks!
.-= Karen@Mignardise´s last blog ..Trenne Pasta with Peas and Proscuitto =-.

El June 9, 2010

Thank you- I’ve been looking for a sherbet recipe and this looks marvelous. Of course, being from New England, it’s difficult not to add the r where it doesn’t belong.

Sharigoodman@gmail.com June 9, 2010

That looks so cool and refreshing. You achieved a gorgeous color and texture! Great photos!

Aparna June 10, 2010

Looks beautiful. Your empty bowl at the ned says it best – Oh la la!
.-= Aparna´s last blog ..Mava Cake (An Indian Cardamom Cake) =-.

rebecca June 10, 2010

wow great sherbet oh wow have fun in London I was just in the UK email if you want tips

Rebecca
.-= rebecca´s last blog ..Bacon and Spinach in a Creamy Sauce =-.

mitzim @ the-ice-cream-maker.com June 11, 2010

Oh thank you for the inspiration! Cardamom is my favorite spice – I thought I’d tried it with almost everything, but never blueberries! I’m off to try it in my next batch of berry ice cream. Gorgeous photographs too – it’s always a delight to stop by your blog!

Sues June 12, 2010

This looks so beautiful!! And I’m putting it on my “to-make” list for my new ice cream maker (that I’m OBSESSED with). And I absolutely love that bowl!!!

Lori @ RecipeGirl June 13, 2010

Last one graduating from high school? Wow, big life changes ahead for you and your husband, eh?

This sherbet looks lovely and healthy. I grew up thinking it was “sherbert.” I’m pretty sure that’s what my Mom always called it.
.-= Lori @ RecipeGirl´s last blog ..Help Me Get On Oprah! =-.

The Cooking Ninja June 15, 2010

oh my … that sorbet looks delicious. I’ve to bookmark it for my mother-in-law. She loves sorbet.
.-= The Cooking Ninja´s last blog ..Strawberry Tart (with crème patissière) =-.

A&N June 15, 2010

I’m SO making this. Bookmarked.

tasteofbeirut June 18, 2010

I made a very similar ice-cream a while ago, but with whipping cream; I did not use an ice-cream maker and it still works, it is a delicious ice-cream; next time I will do as you suggest and use a variety of berries and some buttermilk instead, for extra tanginess.

lo June 24, 2010

I’m a sucker for buttermilk as a flavoring (that tanginess gets me every time) — and I love the easy nature of sherbet. That Ooh-La-La in the bottom of the bowl really says it all!

And wow — the last of them graduating high school?! Wow, Kelly :) Time flies, doesn’t it?
.-= lo´s last blog ..Using and Preserving Summer Herbs: Our Upcoming Herb Series =-.